A hydroelectric power plant is an energy facility where the directional movement of water masses is used as an energy source. The hydroelectric power station is a complex hydraulic structure that is built on rivers, blocking the riverbed with a dam and forming a reservoir.
The electricity produced by hydroelectric power plants has several important advantages:
- Environmental friendliness.
- A constantly renewable energy source.
- The structure can last up to 100 years.
- Reservoirs are formed near the hydroelectric power station, which can be used for economic activities.
Along with the construction of hydroelectric power plants, related infrastructure is being built: processing or metallurgical plants, industrial facilities, etc. The emergence of a powerful source of electricity stimulates the economic development of the region, therefore, this type of structures, despite the high cost and duration of construction, is of decisive importance for the development of the territory.
Choosing a construction site
During the construction of a hydroelectric power station, the choice of location is important, because an incorrectly selected area can significantly reduce the efficiency of the structure and flood nearby settlements.
When planning the construction of a hydroelectric power station, the riverbed and soil are carefully examined for the presence of the following criteria:
- Access to water should be constant all year round. It is important to find a place with a strong current, or in a place where water is collected in sufficient quantity to fill the dam at any time of the year.
- Availability of delivery routes for materials and equipment for construction.
- Soil stability. The construction should be carried out on a stable ground that will withstand high pressure from the flow of water and the weight of the object.
Stages of implementation:
- Pre-project preparation, including a complex of engineering and survey work, the choice of a construction site and obtaining a permit for the construction of the object.
- Creation of a hydroelectric project with the definition of the general construction plan. It includes a set of solutions for all issues of construction: stages and terms of construction, location of construction bases, transport communications, selection of construction technologies for individual requirements, project cost estimation, etc.
- Examination and obtaining a construction permit.
- Execution of a complex of hydraulic engineering works for the construction of hydroelectric power plants:
- At the preparatory stage, roads, power lines, housing for builders are being built, and the creation of a production base (concrete plants, car depots, repair shops, reinforcement farms, quarries, etc.).
- The main works include the construction of basic structures, installation of equipment, and the launch of the first turbine of the HPP. The most difficult part of the work is the overlap of the riverbed, and the most responsible is the start of the first turbine of the hydroelectric power plant.
- At the final stage, all hydraulic units are put into operation, construction works are being completed, the adjacent territory is being landscaped. Upon completion, the facility is put into operation.
Limak Marash Group of Companies has experience in the design and construction of hydroelectric power plants. The portfolio of implemented projects includes the Alkumru hydroelectric power station on the Botan River and the Arkun hydroelectric power station on the Chorukh River in Turkey, the Banya dam and hydroelectric power station on the Devoli River in Albania.
All structures are built according to international standards of quality and safety of hydraulic engineering facilities. Careful preparation for construction, high quality of construction works allows you to create durable, reliable and cost-effective facilities in the shortest possible time.